Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Bounty


10 x 8 Acrylic on Gesso's Hardboard

A new challenge for myself... I decided to paint on gesso'd hardboard or masonite to keep costs down. Since the hubby has been laid off we need to conserve and I heard lots of great things about painting on gesso'd hardboard. Hardboard is inexpensive and you can purchase it at any hardware store, like Lowe's or Home Depot. It also preserves paintings very well because of its rigidness. Many historical painters, I have found, have painted on hardwood instead of canvas and their works have with stood the elements better!

This is my first piece experimenting with this new and strange surface. I am finding it a very different animal. Its like painting on your walls or on illustration board. The paint just soaks right up into the surface. On the contrary though, if you prep the gesso really smooth its like painting on glass and the paint just slides around.

That's sort of the beauty of this, you can prepare your surface how you like it. I am researching and working on finding my best prep surface and board type and will let you know what I have discovered in later posts.

In meantime I hope you enjoy the paintings!

Cheers,
Bev

P.S. My painting photo reference is from a challenge called "Different Strokes for Different Folks." A photo is provided and numerous artists create their rendition of the same photo! This is a great concept and I will be planning on hosting this challenge with my artists friends! Look for more info soon!


No comments: